Monday, April 9, 2018

Humboldt, Saskatchewan Junior Hockey Team - the Broncos

I am not from Humboldt, Saskatchewan. I have never seen the Junior Hockey team, named the Broncos, play hockey. I don't know anyone on the team or in Humboldt.

Nevertheless, I have shed many tears and mourn the lost lives of the young men and their coaches whose lives were forever shattered by the freak meeting of a team bus and a transport truck. Out of 29 people on the bus 15 were killed and 14 injured.

I acknowledge their grieving families and friends. My heart goes out to those left behind who will forever ask themselves "why not me?" Survivor guilt will last a long time, perhaps forever.

I acknowledge the world-wide support provided in so many ways: over 60,000 people from more than 60 countries, who have donated to the largest GoFundMe page ever in Canada; the NHL hockey teams who wore the team name,  Broncos, on their jerseys instead of their own names.

I acknowledge the first responders and the people who rushed from their homes nearby to offer help and blankets and who stayed near the survivors to provide comfort.

The outpouring of support and love from around the world gives me hope. Most people truly are kind, helpful, generous and loving and wish they could do more to show their solidarity and love.

**I have a tiny story that reflects the "salt of the earth" kind of people who live in the province of Saskatchewan. Driving home from Edmonton years ago, alone with my 10 year old daughter, we drove through the province of Alberta to Saskatchewan where we were going to spend the night. We arrived in Swift Current, Sask. only to find that I had left my wallet at a Wendy's in Alberta. Low on gas we drove around Swift Current until my daughter spotted the RCMP station so we went in to see what help we could get. An officer phoned the Wendy's in Alberta - my wallet had been turned in to the manager who then turned it into the RCMP station there (can't remember the town in Alberta).  We were so relieved!!

BUT, it meant driving back to Alberta, and without my wallet I had no money for gas. A man stepped forward and offered me money to buy gas. We were so touched by the help and generosity when we were in such a pickle. We drove 3 hours back to Alberta, picked up my wallet at the RCMP station and then drove back to Swift Current, another 3 hours.

It was very late by then and a lot of motels were full or closed. Eventually I found a very rustic place that rented out cabins and they gave us a large cabin for free after hearing our story. I have never forgotten the wonderful people of Saskatchewan. They literally would give you the shirt off their back.

No comments:

Post a Comment